January 9, 2014

Guerlain Meteorites in Crazy Pearls 2013

So, I hear from the grapevine that Guerlain has revamped their infamous meteorites formula. There have been some mixed reviews about the revised formulation - some feel that it's another overhyped marketing ploy. I have yet to see them in person to judge but I do feel that some of the past releases are hit or miss and an update may lead to something better.


Guerlain Holiday 2013 features yet again a meteorite version called Crazy Pearls, encased in a lacquer black metal tin and fun embossment printing 'Champs Elysees'. This version claims to illuminate the skin with a pink glow with the combination of 6 shades: beige + rosy beige to even out the skin, mauve to refresh, white to light up the face, gold to illuminate, and pink for a healthy glow.


It comes with a black sponge as opposed to the puff in the older versions. 



What caught my interest was primarily the pink balls, which are hidden towards the bottom of the tin.


Despite the description, I only managed to find 4 distinctive shades in the tin. Here they are individually swatched. The mauve was very disappointingly hard to swatch and does not transfer much product to the skin. I literally had to rub each ball individually several times to produce any noticeable colour. The white is obviously more shimmery. The gold seems to deposit a slight satiny sheen. And lastly, the pink was the most prominent and perhaps the most beautiful from the bunch.




Applying with a Shu Uemura 18R red fluffy powder brush, the overall effect on the skin is very subtle.


Below I applied more than usual and you can see the pearls produce a slight pinky tone that is satiny in finish.


To capture the shimmer in photos was almost impossible - even to my naked eye I could barely see the slightest. I had to go under bright studio lights to see the slight shimmer. Below is one with flash photography.


The adjustment on my complexion is only slight. I daresay barely noticeable.




Compared to the other meteorite releases, Crazy Pearls can hardly be described as crazy - the effect is pinkier and less shimmery. Other bloggers claim that the pink can be applied as a light blusher on fair skintones and I would completely disagree. You need to isolate the pink balls from the rest in order to do so. However what Crazy Pearl seems to do on me is a light satiny matte finishing powder. Does it make my complexion more luminous? Well, only slightly. Compared to Chanel La Beiges or Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder, it seems Guerlain has serious contenders to deal with. 


Overall, I'm quite disappointed with the Guerlain Meteorites in Crazy Pearls - I had expected the effect to be more obvious. Perhaps there is a reason for why Guerlain decided to revamp its' formula; it's supposedly softer and easier to pick up powder. It makes perfect sense from a sales point of view too. Softer product means faster usage. The older formula does not warrant much repeat purchase because one tin can last a very long time. Even my mum's old meteorites dated back in 1990 still remains after daily usage. I'm pretty sure I will be passing my meteorites collection to my grandchildren because it seems to last for an infinity.

Nonetheless, it is definitely a collectible for Guerlain meteorite fans. Guerlain Crazy Pearls will be the last meteorites released in the pre-formulated version, and with a quantity of 1.05oz compared to 0.88oz. And if you are a connoisseur of the meteorites, you may be able to detect the difference. To me, I can't and thus feel that the $80 could have been spent on the other items from the collection. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...