January 21, 2014

Avalanche of Empties

It occurred to me that I had a bag of empties lying just this morning as I tossed out my last empty product. As I had very little time to blog last year, this bag has slowly grown. Any normal human being would probably think of me as looney - keeping a huge bag of empty disgusting products way beyond it's reasonable purpose. ? . Desperate to find some way to declutter my home, I thought it was high time to put the empties of 2013 into a post and toss all this plastic out and out.


There are a couple of things that I had finished but thrown away in hotel rooms or trips last year, so these were not counted here. 


BODY
I really got into body care products last year. I loved using non-drugstore soaps and moisturisers, and indulged on a lovely scented Origins A Perfect World Body Cream (200mls). The sweet scent was love at first sniff but I quickly got sick. I love the texture of the cream, and it absorbs quickly into the skin.

The Body Shop Shea Body Whip (250mls) isn't my favorite. While it has a lightweight texture, I hated the scent. I'm finding that the Body Shop isn't quite it used to be - the quality of their scents seem to err more on the 'plastic-sickly' side. They haven't quite made the move to be paraben-free and somehow using paraben-loaded products worry me.

Philosophy Cinnamon Buns (120mls) got me on the whole Philosophy kick. It smells incredible and lathers into a thick rich foam. I haven't gone quite as far as experimenting this on the hair but I will try one day.

I had both the Body Shop Shower gels in Olive and Divine Calm hanging around my shower for the longest time. Sadly, there's a reason why I stopped using these, especially as Philosophy has become my favorite bodycare line. The Body Shop foam is lighter (i.e. less dense) and I end up using up more of the product to get the right amount of foam.

Space NK Life Jump Start Body Lotion (50mls) is INCREDIBLE! If only it came in a larger size, I would have snapped it up during their special gwp events. The scent is lemon-zingy and the texture so lightweight and moisturising all in one.

Beautannia Brideshead Bath and Shower Gel (100mls) is fit for bath royalty. It makes your bathroom smell luxurious. The quality of the foam is incredible too and a little bit goes a long way. It's just too expensive for regular use, though. You can find these at SpaceNK or Liberty.


HAIR
My biggest haircare discovery of 2013 has got to be the Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk (92.5g). I've gone through several cans of these in 2013. I like how it produces a consistent spray and doesn't irritate my scalp. It beats all the higher end dry shampoos without a doubt - including Oscar Blandi's award winning dry shampoos (hate these) or Percy & Reed's. During the Watsons member sales, I stock these up like crazy. On every 2nd day I would spray this on my oily roots. As a result of this routine, the health of my tresses have significantly improved.

Dove Hair Therapy Shampoo in Hair Fall Rescue has become by go-to shampoo for the gym/studio. I don't like bringing with me my more expensive shampoos to the gym because I tend to forget them in the common showers. I like that these shampoos cleanse my scalp and hair well without being pricey. Apart from the silicones and sulfates, I would recommend the Dove haircare line over and above the Phyto or Aveda.

Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo (250mls) was disappointing for me. My hair didn't feel cleansed and I didn't get the hype.

Phytocedrat for oily scalp (200mls) was not impressive at all. I didn't like that the product was a liquid, which made me use more than I should.

Tsubaki Oil Extreme Repair Conditioner (200g) is fabulous for anyone with very dry or damaged hair. While it can weigh your hair down, an intensive 2-3 month treatment post haircare damage is as a good as using a regular hair mask.

Fekkai Advanced Brilliant Glossing Conditioner (59mls) is lovely. It's sad to see Fekkai go from Sephora stands, as I was quite a fan of their pink bottled (for coloured hair) shampoos and conditioners. This trial size bottle here was nice, but not exceptional to warrant me hunting down stockists in Singapore.


SKINCARE
Caudalie Beauty Elixir (100mls) was a surprising love for me. While it's not a must-have, I love the minty scent and how it sets my face together in the morning after makeup. I thought I could replace this with Urban Decay's setting sprays, but I found myself purchasing another large bottle during my trip to Vienna. Although, it does seem like an expensive purchase at 32 euros, I used this almost daily and a bottle last me a whole year.

You've heard me rave countless times about the Shu Uemura High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil (pink bottle in 450mls). This stuff pre-makeup is magic: it removes everything, even the most stubborn mascara.

Sulwhasoo's regular range in Balancing Emulsion (125mls), First Care Serum (60mls) and Liquid Cleansing Foam (200mls) was altogether unimpressive. The emulsion comes in a clumsy glass bottle, which you need to shake to get any product out. Packaging aside, the product does nothing to my skin and I hate having this wet feeling of cream sitting on the skin. I certainly won't be purchasing anything more from the Sulwhasoo line.

Vichy Normaderm Tri-Active Anti-imperfection Hydrating Care is wonderful for Asian skin and humid climates. Click here for a review.


MAKEUP
Makeup empties was not at all impressive in 2013. I finished no lipsticks and that in itself points that I have been rather lazy with my makeup, generally. I'm trying to be more focused this year... 'trying' is a good word, isn't it?

At one stage I was nuts about pressed powders and so I concentrated on using up my Anna Sui's Pressed Powder Refill Pan (9.5g), which I slot into one of these refillable compact cases (also from Anna Sui). Honestly, I can't write a review about this because it's been SO long since I've used it.

Illamasqua Satin Primer (30mls) is a primer that is great for producing a glowy, dewy complexion - although, it doesn't seem to give your foundation any more longevity.

Giorgio Armani Lasting Silk Foundation (30mls) is one of my holy grail foundations ever. It's glow in a bottle. No other foundation has given me as many compliments. You can find a review of it here.

Out of all my bb creams, the Sulwhasoo's Snow Wise BB Base stands out. It's not too heavy and the coverage is light enough to even out the skin. I don't recall having improved skin after using this continuously, but it somehow lightened my complexion. You can find a review of it here.

Lancome Oscillation Mascara is a bit of a gimmicky retake of the popular Definicils, with a higher price point (of course). It's fun at first to be vibrating your lashes, but after a while it gets a bit tiring. The mascara was a bit hard to work with initially but as the formula started to dry, the application and effect became much better.

I was seriously in love with the old Shiseido Mascara Base, and the company just had to reformulate it. The new version is what I have here - called the Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base. All I can say about this 'new' formulation is that Shiseido has completely destroyed a perfectly awesome mascara. The new one is total rubbish.

It took a serious court order to separate me and MUFE Smoky Lash Mascara. I'm guilty as charged for using this wayyyy past it's expiry date. But it's really good. As good as the GA ETK mascara.


Ho hum... here I talk about how guilty I am for hauling and not using. I.e. the graveyard. Or, otherwise known as the products that just dried the #(* out and render it as good as rubbing bricks on the face.

MUFE HD High Definition Blushes... I have here 4. What exactly was I thinking? I hated the one and I got four. That must have been why they dried out! lol.

Then Anna Sui Protective Foundation Primer C has completely separated. No amount of shaking could save the product.

Becca Turkish Rose cream blush... this was a hard one to let go. The shade is awesome... but as all cream blushes, they have an expiry date. This one is donkey years old and it's just time to say goodbye.

Yeah... I have a bunch of eye pencils and mascaras that dried out too. Sad.

So the grand total is....

48!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...