December 9, 2012

Annick Goutal Vanilla Exquise


Annick Goutal Vanilla Exquise (EDT) proclaims my love for soft gourmand and vanilla scents. I hunted down her only shop that was open during the Sunday - Champs des Elysee in one of the galleries close to Sephora. Her boutiques are scattered everywhere in Paris: from the winding pavements of Abesses to a quint corner in neighbourly Saint Sulpice. I never ventured so much into Annick Goutal in the past because I found her scents too safe, maybe a tad too 'demure' compared to the likes of Serge Lutens and Frederic Malle. However, I do find that my preferences for FM or SL to be far more adventurous when I'm on vacation, but lesser so when I'm need an unobtrusive scent for work. Annick Goutal seems to fit the bill for a wallflower-type scent, but pretty nonetheless.

Vanilla Exquise in one word is simply vanilla. The fragrance features angelica, almond, vanilla, musk, sandalwood and guaiac wood. Not the kind of sickly sweet vanilla, and neither sharp or spicy like Jo Malone Vanilla and Anise. It's smooth and well rounded on the edges; its tone like a mild toffee spongecake. Perhaps it lacks a bit of character to Parfums de Nicolai Vanilla Intense or even Diptyque Eau Duelle.

Delicate and sweet, and not at all obtrusive. There's an angelic-like quality on the dry down, bringing me back to when my little sister was brought into the world. Her room would be temperate and her scent would be mixed with scents of baby powder, milk and her fresh clean skin. It's a strange connection, but resonates Vanilla Exquise subtle qualities quite well.

Is it worth 100mL, you may ask? In my honest opinion, not quite. If they had a smaller 30mL bottle, I would have preferred that. I do think it's a matter of body chemistry. On paper, it was a 'meh' but it only drew me in when I smelled it on my skin after about 20 minutes or so. I only give vanilla-scents privilege to my skin. Otherwise, they are often left on test paper!

It's best worn in autumn and cooler climates. The absence of florals and spice is a step away from my usual foray of characteristic dimensional perfume candidates. I have mine in the EDT version, which I would much prefer to the EDP. Its lasting power stands for about 4-5 hours on end. I purchased mine for 96 euros I believe, and you can have them shipped in the EU from her website.



2 comments:

Maria said...

i love vanilla scents! will check this one out :)

Chris El @ MyFashionTrendencies said...

This sounds yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...