September 27, 2012

Skinfood Peach Sake Toner, Serum and Emulsion


I think it has been about a month since I've started using the Skinfood Peach Sake Skincare line. I wanted to venture into more affordable brands, especially Korean ones. Not only have I been using bb creams rather frequently, I have also learnt that there's some decent skincare products out there without the price tag. Maybe it's not the best quality, but it does it's job according to their claims.

Before I start this review, I have to put it out there that skincare reviews are always subjective to the person using it. My skin type is dry and marginally oily on my t-zone.  

The best way to sum up about the Skinfood Peach Sake line is that its decent, but not the best. The line is targeted to those with oily skin, and especially for teens or anyone looking for good oil control during the summer. The caveat here is that this line is horrendous  okay-at-best in hydration. 


I picked up the toner, serum and emulsion all on enkoreadepart.com, a website that offers a myriad of Korean products. I love this site because I don't have to navigate through difficult Google chrome translate. 

Shipping was fast and each product was packaged nicely with bubblewrap. I believe shipping to Singapore was free over $200.

All these bottles are HEAVY - it really does feel like you're using kitchen sauces when handling them. The concept of Skinfood is all about using food ingredients in skincare... no surprise there. Skin... Food.

I have this love-hate relationship with excessive marketing. Packaging products into bottles that literally feels like food is not really my cup of tea. What's even more frustrating is that I literally have to wait for the emulsion to pour out of the bottle, just like you would do for ever-so-tormenting ketchup to peek out of the Heinz bottle. Frustrating, indeed. 

Here are some individual reviews on each product...

One... Skinfood Peach Sake Toner
The Skinfood Peach Sake Toner does nothing to remove remaining residue. You still need to rely on a 2-step cleansing process to get every dirt and grime off. Although, the toner does work quite well as an astringent and makes my skin feel refreshed. There's a heavy scent of peaches, which may be intoxicating to some. To me, the scent might resemble some kind of artificial detergent. 




Two... Skinfood Peach Sake Pore Serum
Again, I have no impression about this serum. It sinks into my skin rather fast and there's no feeling of tackiness, like most drugstore serums. However, I'm not quite sold since I haven't seen much of an improvement in my skin since using this.




Three... Skinfood Peach Sake Emulsion
The emulsion is probably the best item out of the three. But again, it's not stellar. The bottle (as you've read above) annoys me each time I use it. At the beginning, I had to hit the tip of the bottle on my palm to agitate the product slightly for the teeniest amount. Now that I'm halfway through the bottle, a huge gallop of product comes out... definitely way too much to use for a single application. 

The only reason why I think this is the best out of the line would be its' effective oil control. I can smother myself with this emulsion and within 2 minutes, it's completely soaked into my skin. And voila! my skin is matte. No oilies for hours. Again, this really is subjective. 

There's always a flipside right? Yes, this is not hydrating AT ALL. And when your skin is dehydrated, the more your skin will produce oil. Not quite the cycle we want. 




You wouldn't need to guess very far what my impressions are on the Skinfood Peach Sake Line. Anyone considering this can give this line a complete miss. You can find much better products for oil control and hydration from LaRochePosay and Caudalie.

I hope you're all having a lovely Thursday. I'm off to Tokyo this weekend for work and I really (fingers-crossed) hope that I have time to shop around. And when I get back from Tokyo, I will share with you some exciting news and a haul. If I don't have time to do anything else than work, I still have Narita airport! Woohoo! :o) 

3 comments:

Maria said...

have a perfect trip!
i will be waiting for your japan haul! :)

memoiselle said...

Hey Tracy!
Lately I am venturing to french drugstore brands for my skincare. I do feel that they works very well on my skin too. I feel that I can save some pennies to buy other things that I want :)

I understand how you feel about the packaging. Yes it's kinda irritating that we need to flip the bottle just to get that amount of products needed. In fact I hate the process of getting my Heinz Tomato sauce from the bottle LOL! :D

Dilaliffita said...

nice review, how about the ingredients of toner? it's in hangul. i can't read. ><"

mind to visit my blog?
montananocturna.blogspot.com

thank youu :")

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...