July 29, 2012

BB Cream Review & Comparisons: Lioele Beyond the Solution BB Cream


I've been on a massive BB cream kick lately after my trip to Taipei, where almost all the girls would wear bb creams as opposed to foundations. You can when some of these girls wear bb creams, because their face looks alot lighter than their necks. Apart from those starking neck-to-face appearances, Taiwanese girls do have a beautiful complexion. 

I picked up a deluxe sample size of the Lioele Beyond the Solution BB cream in Hong Kong. I got mine at Color Mix, where they sold a bunch of Korean skincare and makeup products for a reduced price. I got mine (30 mLs) which also includes a SPF45 sunscreen for HKD100. Even though it is not the full size, this 30mL tube will last me a good number of months with continuous use. Only the slightest pea size amount is needed each time. 

All the ingredients are written in Korean, so that's not much help to me. Surprisingly, the texture of the BB cream is quite thick - definitely less emoliant than the Skin79 Hot Pink Beblesh Balm. It dries alot faster, which means you need to work faster with the product.


The obvious difference between the Lioele and Skin79 bb cream is that Lioele is alot more yellow toned! This single advantage alone gives Lioele a thumbs up for me. I believe that Lioele, like Skin79, only comes in a single shade. So it's really a hit or miss when you're purchasing this online. For reference, I am approximately an NC 20 on the back my forearm, which is typically lighter than my neck and face. 

Freshly applied

Here are comparison swatches - freshly applied and photo taken.

after 2-3 minutes

Here are comparison swatches about 2 minutes after drying. The oxidation is only slight - with Lioele oxidising to a much darker tone. Suitable for NC25 to NC 30 skin tones. The Lioele BB cream dries alot faster than Skin79 bb cream.

There's a clear difference when using Skin79 BB (Hot Pink) cream and Lioele Beyond the Solution BB Cream - the latter seems to perform as a medium coverage foundation whilst the other acts more of a skincare product. I guess that rationale is based on the fact that Lioele does not contain an SPF, which would mean that I would have to add sunscreen into the regimen. Further, my skin does not feel as moisturised.

So there are definitely pros and cons to each bb cream. Almost strangely like comparing apples to pears within the bb cream category!

Lets begin the face swatches :o)

Below is my face bare - nothing on but my Caudalie Moisturising Sorbet.


Method of application: a small pea size drop warmed between the fingers and patted on like a skincare product. I realised that this technique makes the bb cream look far more natural than smearing it on or with a brush.


When applying to my right side (or the left side of the picture above), I noticed that blemishes are less noticeable and generally my complexion looks brighter. I'm around NC20-NC25 (leaning more on the NC25 after all the sun the last 2 weeks). You can see that the colour match is spot on. Not too grey and not too white, like Skin79.


Some close ups... everyone loves close ups! The only thing I had noticed is that slight build up on the edge of my nose. But generally my skin looks more natural with bb cream than with foundation. This simple fact alone explains my addiction to bb creams lately.

Demonstrating some more coverage abilities of the Lioele BB Cream, below is a close up of my bare skin. If you notice, there are some old acne scarring, pores and if you look even harder, there are plenty of black heads (eeps!). My SO commented that these pictures look very 'clinical' - haha! I can only agree.

The second picture shows the same area with one layer of Lioele BB Cream. Can you tell that my red patchy skin is gone, and that some of my pores are evenly covered? I think it's quite impressive.



Applied to my entire face. What can I say? I really love it! 


It seems to dry to a matte finish - in fact, not as dewy as most other BB creams out there. That can be easily fixed with a smidgen of highlighter on the cheekbones, tips of the nose, chin, etc.


What about oil control? Pretty good I must say, and definitely alot better than the Skin79 BB cream. 


Who will love this BB cream?
  • Oily to combination skin types
  • Those looking for medium coverage
  • Asian NC25 skin tones = perfect!
  • Natural looking matte finish
  • Anyone who does not mind the bb cream not having an SPF
  • Not willing to fork out as much for Skin79, BRTC, Dr. Jart BB creams
I hope that helps anyone curious about Lioele Beyond the Solution BB Cream. It's not a new product, in fact, has been reviewed by many others on the blogosphere.

Happy Sunday everyone!

14 comments:

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

Tracy! :D You look amazing w/a bare face! I like both bb creams, but I think the Lioele one is slightly better. The skin 79 one kind of flat looking.

Chris El @ MyFashionTrendencies said...

I've been wanting to try a BB cream, but there are so many out there and it's relatively new to the US, that I don't know where to start. I do however, love the idea of a one-stop-shop type of cream.

Maria said...

so i need to try it too!!! sounds like a bb cream made right for me!

Jacqueline said...

This bb cream looks great on you.

Tracy said...

Hi Jen, thank you :o) I agree that Skin79 looks flat. The color tone is just not right. If it weren't for its skincare and SPF, I wouldn't have continued using it.

Tracy said...

Hi Chris, I agree that there's just too many to choose from now. It's one of those pokemon things for me. Once I start, I can't stop trying them all. :o)

Tracy said...

Hi Maria, if you loved the Skin79, I think you would like the Lioele one better. However, only because it's more yellow toned!

aly7 said...

I love BB creams! I currently have 4, my favorite is the Holika Holkia peach girl one. I really should try this one!


www.seventhingsbeauty.blogspot.com

Ra, UK said...

The finish of BB creams remind me of Clinique Super City Block. I used to use it as a foundation. It used to lighten my skintone but I liked the lightweight feel, plus the sunscreen!

LauraMck said...

I've such good things about Liole's BB cream, it looks lovely on you. I wish we could get this brand in Ireland xx

Rubenesque01 said...

where did you buy both bb creams because I live in hk and I'm looking for a new bb cream.

Rubenesque01 said...

where did u buy both bb creams in hk?

Tracy said...

Hi Rubenesque, I got mine from Colormix at times square

Jenny G said...

The coverage is great! Although, one of the most appealing things about bb creams to me is the fact that they are so light and don't feel like foundation at all. This looks so similar to a foundation... I don't see what makes this special anymore.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...