April 3, 2012

Ravishing Red Lips

They say that diamonds are a girls' best friend. But, I don't quite relate when the lunchtime conversation switches to carets, cuts or grades. Nada, I'm not familiar and I feel just as lost as any other engaged man looking for the 'perfect' diamond ring. Although, when the discussion switches to lipsticks, I can start rattle off my totter about different shades, lipstick brands, and finishes, etc. 

On the contary, I am a wimp when it comes to wearing bright lips to the office. It's just too high maintenance. I have done it a few times and had a number of heads turning. Honestly, I don't quite like the attention so I usually have on a soft boring nude lip.

On the weekends, I like to play around with colours. And a red lip is what I normally sport.


I'm rather picky when it comes to buying a red lipstick. I'm a cool-toned girl, so I generally go for the blue based lipsticks. I have picked up some warmer reds, but I generally find that these shades make my skin look sallow and my teeth yellow. So what you see below are reds that are suitable for a fair asian cool-toned skintype. It may sound quite technical, but I would just go in store, ask the sales assistant to apply it on. And it's all about gut instinct after that. :-)


For purpose of comparison, here are the swatches under natural sunlight.



MUFE Rouge Artist Intense 42 looks like a deep red, but applies as a cherry red on my lips. MUFE Rouge Artist Intense lipsticks have a fantastic formulation - it's matte, but not so drying on the lips and stays on for a good number of hours. I love using this when I need to create a precise red lip.




Chanel Rouge Allure in Flamboyante is a beautiful red, and unfortunately limited edition. I would describe this to be another raspberry red with some pink undertones and finishes off slightly glossy. I can pull this off during the day, and love using this because of it's hydrating factor.





MAC Russian Red is those classic red lipsticks that every red lip junkie owns. All legendry lipsticks are referenced to/compared to/swatched against, and this lipstick is exactly that. It's described to be a classic true red and will look great on anyone. If you don't believe me, try it and you'll fall in love. I have mine in the MAC Wonder Woman limited edition packaging, but this shade is available in the regular lineup. It stays on my lips for many hours. Make sure to hydrate the lips before using this!



 

Anna Sui Lipstick B 02 is one of those typical Japanese glossy glittery moist lipsticks that builds on your natural lip colour. I would describe it to be a cherry red, with small hints of gold glitter. Very easy to use for the day. And just look at that gorgeous packaging! It's enough of a reason to have it in your collection.




Dior Addict Lipstick in 865 is not exactly a red, instead, it looks more of a rose. It does look rather red on the tube so I included this anyway. I love the high shine and how it feels on my lips, almost making it look plump and happy.



Chanel Rouge Coco in Cambon 31 is my favourite for the weekend and has been featured on my blog here. It's a deeper raspberry red than Chanel Flamboyante, and has this magical way of brightening up my complexion. Absolutely stunning and will recommend it to anyone.



Phew! that was a long post again, but I really enjoyed it! It's so fun playing with vibrant lip colours and honestly, I can't stop checking myself out in the mirror! Anyway, I hope you're having a wonderful mid-week. I'm off to Berlin tomorrow so my blog will be on another break till then.

What are your favourite red lipsticks?


4 comments:

Maria said...

i also have Chanel Flamboyant :)
thanks for reminding me about it, maybe i will wear it tomorrow :) even if i don't like the texture of it that much (I'm not a big Chanel fan)

i am also a bit shy when it comes to red lipsticks. they look good on me, but i feel much more comfortable when i have something less bright on my lips. so i prefer something light and with balm texture when it comes to RED :)

but your post is great as always!

Jacqueline said...

Hey Tracy, I'm not sure if my my earlier comment got through but here goes. My comments made on my phone has been eaten up lately. :(
Anyway I love red lips! I unfortunately cannot wear it everyday, not work friendly fr me. If I had it my way, I would wear a different red lip everyday. I love you in Russian Red and MUFE, very very pretty.
I tend to like warmer reds so my favs are Burberry Brick Red and Guerlain Automatique in L'huere Bleue.

markedbeautyblog said...

You have definitely gained a new follower with this post, I ADORE red lipstick! I feel like it gives me so much more confidence and just adds brightness and colour to any look! xx

Sarah S. said...

No wonder you love these pinky-reds. You look really amazing in all of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...