March 6, 2012

YSL Glossy Stains: initial impressions and swatches


YSL Glossy Stains have captured my attention lately, having seen Raeviewer's raved thoughts on them. I took the opportunity to swatch a few of the standout colours from Matas, my local drugstore, yesterday. My first impressions of the YSL Glossy Stains are that they are excellent in their colour range and I can see myself using these on busy days. A single application in the morning and afternoon is probably all you need to maintain a fuss-free lipcolour all day.

These reminds me of the Chanel Rouge Lacques in texture and application. The only difference is that they stain the lips without having the horrible dryness that 'stains' are usually associated with.  


I wanted to make a comparison of the YSL Glossy Stains to the YSL Golden Glosses. The latter is definitely sheerer and stickier, typical of most lipglosses. I did notice the somewhat 'watery' texture to the YSL Glossy Stains initially, and true enough, it became more viscous after a few seconds. 

Unfortunately, I was not able to swatch the entire line up of numbers 1 to 19, since alot of the shades were missing.

The colours that strike me the most are 11, 13 - only because the after stains are gorgeous too. In pictures, numbers 10 and 11 are very similar - however, 11 is probably more of a pinkish red and 10 an orange toned red. I had initially loved 7 from pictures online, but after seeing it in person, feel that it is a bit too 'brown' for my liking. 19 is the more wearable version of 18, which appears too blue-tone light barbie pink. In general, lighter shades don't stain quite as well as the darker shades, so I consider it pointless as a stain anyway.

Whilst I'm trying to control my spending budget for the next half year before my contract here in Denmark finishes, I can't help but resist picking up some shades from this line up. For now, I walked away empty handed, knowing that I'll be returning back. 

8 comments:

Rola said...

I picked up 5,7, and 10. Love YSL!

roxanne said...

The colours of the Glossy Stains here look really pigmented. I'm a fan of YSL lip colours, and in fact I own one of their lipsticks.

In the swatches that you did, I actually don't see a colour that would suit my skin tone, sadly. I wish there was something from YSL that would fit! I've been hearind rave reviews about the glossy stains. Will probably check them out the next time I drop by Sephora.

Thanks for the swatches, dear!


xoxo,
Roxanne
www.lacedivory.com

Tracy said...

@Rola: YSL made a nice come back with their Rouge Pur coutures and glossy stains. I didn't get to see 5 sadly. 7 and 10 are more wearable shades for everyday. The temptation is getting greater!!!

Tracy said...

@Roxanne: What's confusing about the range is that they don't display everything at my counter and they make certain shades exclusive. But it's worth checking out I think! It's more impressive in person than in pictures, and I am already gathering a list of a 3+ shades. Yikes!

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for the swatches, I picked up 8 and 12. These look very exciting and I can't wait to try them for myself.

Rei said...

I just picked up shade 12 yesterday and I am absolutely smitten by it! It's the best lip stain I've ever used,so I'm planning to get a few more and your swatches are extremely helpful! Thank you :-)

Nawi said...

picked up nr 15 and 19 yesterday cannot wait to try them. Have you got any yet?

Tracy said...

Hi Nawi, not yet! I'm waiting to pass through Berlin where I'm due for a beauty shopping spree! I'm eyeing 19, 10, 12, 7. lol! too many. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...