March 7, 2012

Skincare: Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense

It's probably a good time to take out the sunscreen again as the days become longer and sunnier here in Denmark. I've never been too much of a sunblock user - I'm either sitting in the office or wearing some SPF in my foundations, that I never deem it necessary to put on an extra layer of product. Yes, I should be wearing it all year round, and I should make it a habit. There has already been extensive sun damage done to my skin after the years of sunbathing in Australia and holiday destinations.

There's always some debate about sunscreens - they don't completely block of sunrays (around 90% if used adequetely in quantity and frequency), and you should also use protective clothing. Not that you can wear anything around your face - which makes it even more appealing to have a facial sunscreen hard and fastened into your skincare regimen.
I wanted to make a short review of the Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 PA +++ UVA - I think it's worthy of good mention. In fact, I had first heard about it fromVonvon's Interest. You can read more about her opinion about it here. She claims that this sunscreen seemed to make her complexion more radiant, and that's always a plus in my books!


My initial impressions of the Kiehls sunscreen is that the texture seems to be more of a runny lotion than Diorsnow's sunscreen which explains why people find it to be a pricey product. For comparisons sake; Diorsnow lasted me for a good 9 months, and Kiehls will probably last me half the time! I just feel that I need to squeeze more product from the Kiehls sunscreen to cover my face adequately. 

There's definitely a lightweightness to Kiehls Ultra Light Daily UV Defense, that I find this feature better than Diorsnow. Bearing in mind that I usually have a serum + moisturiser + primer + foundation + cream bronzer on, I am usually quite picky when it comes to any more products added in that busy daily regimen! Particularly during the summer, anything that is more lightweight will go the extra mile in longevity!


The lotion (for better lack of words), spreads very easily, and absorbs quickly into the skin. There's a marginal scent, in fact, hardly noticeable. I've always wondered why sunscreens have that particular chemically scent. I used to hate lathering the changing room sunscreen back in PE classes, and then sweating into it. Yucks!

Have you tried the Keihls Ultra Light Daily UV Defense? If so, did you like it? Or do you have other sunscreens that you like better?

8 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I have tried Kiehls but went back to my Chanel UV Essential which I found to be even more lightweight with less of a whitish cast and a lovely matte finish.

p chan said...

This is my new fav in my skincare routine! Dior's broke me out really bad :(

Tracy said...

@Jacqueline: I wanted to try the Chanel a while ago but never got around to finishing my batch of sunscreens! It's definitely on my radar. :-)

Tracy said...

@p chan: oh I'm sorry to hear! Diorsnow was really pleasant on me - but it is rather thick, so I can imagine that it wouldn't be quite as lovely in warmer climates.

~ Claire ~ said...

I like kiehl's ss but my HG is melascreen (it's thicker though). I like to switch the two from time to time. I do feel the same: I need more (kiehl's) to cover my face and neck. I don't know, if I would repurchase it though, I think there must be a better option out there (a lightweight ss).

AngelicBetrayal said...

I just randomly stumbled upon your blog and followed almost immediately :) I should probably check this out next time I'm at a Kiehl's because I'm pretty picky with my sunscreens. Hm, but I also want to try the Dior Snow one because I've heard quite a few raves about it. My current favorite is Shiseido's Extra Smooth Sun Protection Cream because it acts like a primer for my foundation.

Tracy said...

Hi Claire, you're probably right. I don't quite feel that Keihls sunscreen gains the HG status. I'm already half way through the tube in within a months use! That's too fast I think!

Tracy said...

Hi AngelicBetrayal, thanks for following! I will definitely check out the Shiseido sunscreens - they have a number of good reviews.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...