January 29, 2012

Winter hydration with trusty Estee


There's one thing I dread the most about winter, apart from below freezing temperatures and cold blasted wind, is dry patchy skin that hurts for days on end. I was determined not the face the same fate that I once did during the winters in Australia (which is still in comparison milder than those in Nordic countries). Surprisingly, I was blessed this time round with hydrated skin, and I had to (absolutely must) make a review of the products. 

All credits go to Estee Lauder Hydrationist range. It's as simple as it is. Nothing more, nothing less. I have the largest bottle of the EL Hydrationist Moisture Barrier Fortifier Serum and the EL Hydrationist Maximum Moisture Creme for dry skin, and I use both products daily for the morning and night. 


The Hydrationist Serum claims to be a moisture fortifier, by interacting with the skin to create a moisture insulating layer to lock in hydration. It sounds really fancy, like most skincare products out there. Whatever it's doing, my skin likes it and it's working. 


A single pump dispenses just the amount you need to cover the entire face and neck. The texture is light, lightly fragranced, and absorbs rather quickly into the skin.


I normally skip toning altogether. Just a personal verdict, I don't think that toning does anything to my skin, and I believe it's another marketing trick to get you into buying another product of their already extensive skincare line. I have over the years learnt to keep my skincare routine rather simple. It's a deliberate choice to minimise the 'activity' done to my face, and to keep the repurchase to the minimum. 

On a clean face, I use a pump of the Hydrationist Serum and then the Hydrationist Moisturiser. Done in less than 3 seconds! Isn't that a godsend? My friends, hydration, no matter how old or young you are, are necessities to good skin.

The Estee Lauder's Hydrationist Maximum Moisture Creme comes in 3 types; combination and dry skin, and an oily skin that comes in a pump bottle. I consider my skin to be combination in nature - oily t-zone and dry cheeks. I was deliberating between the combination and the dry skin, and opted for the latter just because I needed something heavy duty. 

If I recall, the combination skin formulation is much more gel-like and less creamy. And surprisingly, the  cream is just as easily absorbed into the skin even though it is thicker. It doesn't create oiliness or the heaviness you would expect with winter creams, so I wouldn't judge the wording on the packaging too seriously. 



A small scoop with your fingers is all you need for the whole face. Again, it has a light fragrance, and absorbs well into the skin, leaving it feeling quite refreshed! I also think that it makes my face feel softer and prepared for primer & foundation. 

Honestly, it has been a long while since I have last found a great cream. I have tried a range from Biotherm, Lancome, Shiseido and more, then giving myself a long break while being on Roaccutane. I have found this cream to be really effective in giving me back the moisture that I needed during the colder months. 


Have you used Estee's Hydrationist range? I recommend snagging a few samples from the EL counter next time you visit! 



2 comments:

Fannie said...

Hi Tracy! I can totally relate because in the winter my skin also gets so dry it hurts. =[ I've tried the Hydrationist Maximum Moisture Lotion and I really like it but it broke me out. I did a review on my blog if you want to check it out http://fannied.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-estee-lauder-hydrationist.html I really want to try the Hydrationist Maximum Moisture Creme regardless of the lotion not quite working out for me. Thanks for the review!

Tracy said...

Hi Fannie,
Sorry to hear that the lotion didn't quite work for you. I can only suggest that you try a few samples before you fork out the hefty amount. Thanks for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...