November 20, 2011

A Plum Addition: Burberry Sheer Eyeshadow in Antique Rose No. 10

I'm no stranger to Burberry Cosmetics. In fact, when it was released sometime last year, I made it a point to pick a few of their eyeshadows at their newly opened store at Lane Crawford Harbour Front, Hong Kong. Before that, I had read many blogs including Temptalia and TheBeautyLookBook. True to their word, Burberry offers some glamorous pieces with their classic wearable neutral shades, encased in the heavy weight and glamourous checked casing.

I took the opportunity to pick up a few more eyeshadows at the London Heathrow Airport last month when I was stopping over on the way to Sao Paulo. Each eyeshadow was priced at about 18 pounds, saving a few from the VAT. I regretted not buying more, especially the shades which were considered more 'daring'. Nevertheless, I love what I managed to pick up.


Online swatches does little justice to the quality and superiority of these eyeshadows. I was blown away with the butteriness and satiny finish I get. It's unlike other brands I've tried. MAC eyeshadows tend to be on the 'drier' side, and Urban Decay too pigmented.
I managed to pick up 3 wearable shades for the office; Burberry's limited edition shade in Midnight Brown, regular item in Antique Rose and finally Porcelain.




Today's look will feature Burberry's Antique Rose Sheer Eyeshadow. I would describe this colour to be a browny plum with a small hint of burnt muted red. The texture is very smooth and finely milled, and has really good staying power.

I wasn't sure if I had a colour that was similar to this, especially knowing that I do verge towards plummy shades very often. What I do appreciate about Burberry's Antique Rose is that it does not have too much of a red undertone that it looks too heavy on lighter skin tones. The most closest shade I have to Burberry's Antique Rose is probably MAC Shale eyeshadow. Even then, MAC Shale eyeshadow has alot more of purple undertone.



Now it's also very often that cosmetic brands would release a plum shade in their Autumn or Fall collections, so again, I had a look through my drawer and found some similar shades that I could do some comparisons with. Interestingly, I did find that Lunasol Start of Night Palette which was part of the 2010 Fall Collection has a similar undertone of red with alot more glitter. And the next best colour replica would be YSL Ombres Duolumieres in No. 15, which I've owned for the longest time! However, you will not get the same level of pigmentation and satin finish as Burberry Antique Rose.



I wore Burberry's Antique Rose as a general wash of colour to the lids, accentuated with Midnight Brown on the outer lash line, and Porcelain on the middle lid just to give a little more gradation.



It's a colour that can be easily worn to work, after-work drinks, dinner parties, and especially around the autumn and winter season. I love it when I paired this eyeshadow with more brown toned blushes like Nars Dolce Vita (heavy version) or Dolce & Gabanna Caramel blush.


In summary, Burberry Antique Rose a shade worth investing for the Winter season. It's subtle and adds a lovely dimension to an otherwise simple makeup look. It will be a colour I know I will be wearing for the next few weeks.

Have a lovely Sunday!

3 comments:

CAMILLA said...

such a lovely colors
i love them all...
im always into brown/earth town colors

Jacqueline said...

Excellent colour choices! I have these three too, great minds think alike ;) I hadn't thought of pairing Antique Rose and Midnight Brown, what a great suggestion. It is something I will definitely want to try.

Rola said...

I really like Burberry cosmetics, especially the foundation, blushes, and lipsticks. The eyeshadows look really nice, I need to give them a try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...