August 1, 2011

Foundation Series: Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua


While browsing the tempting lineup of duty-free makeup last month, I took the opportunity to try the highly raved Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua foundation. Claiming to be ultra-light and skin perfecting, I bought this on a whim, which satisfies the exact qualities of a foundation that I was looking for during the summer months. I prefer my base makeup to be fairly light in coverage, and meanwhile capable of evening out my skin tone and provide my skin semi-matte finish for several hours. So does it really do all that?

I have used alot of different types of foundations. Some I detest and can never use beyond a few pumps. And then, there's some that I love initially, until the weather changes and no matter how much I switch up up my primers, it just doesn't work as well as it used to. So please take this review as an opinion... because foundation reviews are subjective and depends on the occasion, weather, skin type, and application technique. 


Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua is the new lineup of foundation released in February, amongst the numerous Chanel offerings, marketed particularly for the day, with an SPF 15. The foundation is encased in the most travel-friendly bottle. Packaging-wise, it definitely scores points with me. 

I was matched to the shade B-20 Beige Tendre (yellow based undertone), which is equivalent to MAC NC25. I do recall that there is a range targeted for pink-toned customers, and is differentiated with the word 'Rose' in the naming system. It's not the most user-friendly shade system, but it's not rocket science. Just spend a little bit of time to test it out on your jawline and wait for 5 minutes to see if the shade works well for you. 


The texture of the foundation is incredibly fluid-like and described appropriately on the bottle itself, like aqua. It spreads easily, and one dollop of foundation is enough to cover my entire face. It blends well even with the fingers, and the result is an even color without signs of streakiness or settling. The foundation dries to a semi-matte finish, without feeling sticky or greasy. I noticed a fragrance, which is quite distinct, but not bothersome. 

Left: clean face, Right: with Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Foundation

And as you can see, the foundation has a lightweight coverage that covers most of my slight pigmentation around my nose. However, it does not cover more pigmented blemishes (old acne scars). But that can be easily fixed with concealer anyway.

What I did notice is that the foundation seems to settle around the dry patches around the edges of my lips and cheeks. It's not too pronounced, but I do notice it upon closer observation. However, it does satisfy the claim of being light-weight. In fact, it fares quite well to Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, which is fabulously light-weight.

Does it claim to be skin perfecting? Uhmm... I struggle with this, but my eventual response would be a 'no'. Sometimes I find that just a bit of primer and powder is enough to look fresh and beautiful. Foundation is just another unnecessary step.

In fact, foundation does make my skin feel oilier by the day. By midday, I noticed a slight oil sheen. Considering that I had to battle the elements this morning, and welcomed with extreme humidity in the office this morning, I consider the performance of the foundation in the first few hours upon application to be quite good. Not fantastic, but good. I didn't experience drastic oxidation. I hate it when I have an orange face, so this foundation passed the test. Good.

Here comes the disclaimer... it's not long-lasting.


By 5pm, my face was a greasy oil zone. In all fairness, I did not blot or touch my face. Using some wipes by the end of the day, I only noticed a smidgen of foundation left on my face. Almost like all the pigment had completely melted off my face by 8-9 solid hours. It's not easy to identify that single foundation product that does all the wonders of providing a lovely semi-matte finish for 8 solid hours, so I won't butcher this Chanel foundation.

So overall, I would recommend this foundation if you're looking for something with a little bit more coverage than a tinted moisturiser and without looking too dewy/oily. It's good for people with normal skin. Oily skintypes will have to blot alot more often, and dry skintypes will be need to use more moisturising primer underneath to avoid the accentuated dry patches.  A somewhat versatile foundation, I would say? And finally there's the gratification of wearing Chanel on the face.

My overall ratings?
3.75 stars out of 5

1 comment:

Mayra Nagase said...

Your eye brows look amazing!!! =)

xxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...