April 19, 2011

Oh my fair lady with Shu Uemura UV Underbase Mousse BB Beige

Today's quick post is going to be my initial thoughts of the Shu Uemura UV Underbase Mousse in BB Beige SPF 30 PA +++. This is a limited edition primer released from the The Sakura Collection by Shu Uemura with Mika Ninagawa. I didn't really have much of a chance to review it previously because of my relocation. But today I finally had some time in the morning to test this out.

I hope this review is helpful for you, even if I'm a little late. Sorry!

The revamped UV Under Base Mousse formulation can be identified with the flat top cap. I own many bottles of the old formulation, where the cap is rounded. The concept is the same - it's a primer and sunscreen contained in a bottle which you shake (makes the same clickety sound like an aerosal bottle).

The difference with the BB Beige shade is that you can use it as a foundation, alone. So it triples up as a sunscreen, primer and foundation.

The mousse formulation ensures that there's an even and consistent formulation of all the ingredients to achieve an even finish, oil control and pore minimizing effects. Instead of having a BB cream in a cream formulation, you can have it in a superior light-weight mousse formulation. It spreads very easily, doesn't clog your pores and is incredibly lightweight that it feels like second skin.

But then the next question would be, does it match my skin colour?
As we can all testify to this; time is limited in the morning. So having a product that allows you to miss 2 steps in your usual makeup routine sounds pretty good.

Sadly, this product didn't do it for me. Not because I don't like the innovative formulation, the lightweight texture, or that it seems to close up my pores extremely well. But because my face is so white after application, that I couldn't bear facing the public for a single second. And that just boils down to BB creams in general. They only offer at most 3 shades, targeting to pale asians only.

If you belong in the MAC NC15 in shade, you might actually like this product.


So here I applied it all over my face to see what's going on. Tick, I really do look 2 shades fairer. I almost like like a geisha with her costume makeup on.

Well, in all fairness, it doesn't look too bad if you apply your usual liquid foundation on top (see picture below). Perhaps you could even start using that old bottle of foundation that has been sitting in your drawers because you found the shade too dark.

Even though having a fair complexion is the BIG thing in Asia, I feel quite self-conscious for being so fair in a country that only starts smiling when the sun comes out. The Danes probably all wonder why I haven't been appreciating the sun more often by looking at the colour of my skin. Then again, I think I will probably rock this look with gazes of admiration from my dear friends in Asia. With a little bit of blush and bronzer to add more colour to the face, it looks like you stepped out of a fairy tale book and took on the role as Snow White.

In summary, I would only use the Shu Uemura UV under base mousse in BB beige to achieve a fairer complexion or if you're an MAC NC15. It's still a great product formulation-wise. I have used up so many bottles of the regular beige shade that I now wonder why Shu Uemura created a shade that can only be worn by very pale asian skin tones. And trust me, I'm fairer than most of the blondes in this country! *gasp*! 

I hope this helps anyone who's thinking of picking up this limited edition shade. Test it on your neck/face first!

7 comments:

Jessying said...

i having yellow skin , definitely would look like geisha with this! I thought of getting this and put this alone on lazy day .. but now i dont think i can .. thanks for the review!

Penelope said...

Thanks so much for the review. I didn't realise this Base was different from the normal one. (Just thought the design was the only thing different!) Thanks for setting me straight. The products sounds really good. Sorry to hear it didn't suit your skintone. Apart from the difference in skin shade, you look flawless with it on x

Jess said...

Wow, your skin looks really nice with the BB Mousse! I have been wanting it for so long, but no chance yet, since Austria does not have a Shu Uemura counter, nor is it sold in any department store here. :(

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

Oh my! You look fantastic!! They probably created that formula because many Asians in Asian countries want to look fairer, and white :p This UV base does wonders!! I need to get myself one. I like the mousse too, because it looks less dense than the regular stuff.

You look like a little kid bare faced :) Your skin is amazing to start with!

Tracy said...

@Jessying: I much prefer the UV Underbases in Pink and Beige over the LE BB Beige.

@Penelope: The formulation is amazing but if the colour matched me, I think I would be over the moon.

@Jess: Aww... I wish i was still living in Asia and I could send something over to you. Now that I'm in Europe, the selection is just blah.

@Rainy Days and Lattes: Thanks! Yeah, my Danish friends are still going 'Why do you want to be fairer?' lol. It's funny trying to explain it to them. The LE BB beige is definitely more creamier, and has more color payoff. I still like using my regular stuff tho. Haha! Young is always good in my books!

ltaya said...

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for your awesome review!

Was wondering if BB Beige was lighter than Beige?
I have beige but was hoping to find a more pigmented version...
Too fair is not good for me either

Tracy said...

@Itaya: BB Beige has a lot more coverage than Beige and Pink. I have to say that BB Beige will look better on ladies with NC20, because it tends to be quite 'light' in shade. Lighter than my skin tone (NC25). I suppose you're buying this online?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...