April 27, 2011

The best purchase I made in this whole trip

If you love to read books, this is something you need to know.

I have bought some lovely gifts for myself during this trip to New York City and Fort Lauderdale, but the item that ranks the best would be....


YES! Isn't it exciting?! Even though I'm a beauty junkie, I've become a bookaholic as well. Thanks to my dear friend, Ruby, who got me back into reading a marathon of books since September last year, I've started to read alot of books during my spare time. Hmm... and you thought all I did was think about makeup. 99% brains are on makeup, and 1% on books. lol!

It's quite simple really...


This little gadget weighs no more than 8.5 ounces, lighter than your traditional paperback books. The 6-inch image display spanning horizontally, and non-glaring screen makes you feel like you're reading something printed on actual paper. Everyone I've met have always said that they prefer the traditional books, and I used to believe that as well, until you are confronted with relocation. Imagine the relocation costs involved in shipping 100 books, not to mention the shelf capacity you need to also consider.

Now, I can simply browse online anywhere at anytime on Amazon.com and select any New York Times Bestsellers for a fraction of the price. Storing up to 3500 books makes things too easy. And not only that, you can read your periodicals, newspapers and magazines all in one gadget. Purchases of ebooks on Amazon is open to international customers.

Note: I forgot to remove the plastic sheet that covers my kindle...

Then the next question is... It's like an ipad, isn't it? Not exactly. There is an incredibly limited selection of ibooks, and I'm waiting for the time where ibooks will be competing on the same ranks as itunes. The screen has a glare, which makes it somewhat difficult to read a book continuously on an LCD screen. Plus, the weight alone on an ipad is a fairly heavy. Anyway, I find that I leave my ipad at home most of the time.

Target has just received their stocks of the Kindle for only $114, which includes screensavers with sponsored advertisements when you're not reading. If this bothers you, you can also get the traditional Kindle for $139 or the Kindle 3G for $189. But honestly, you're better off buying the $114 so you can use that extra cash to purchase your ebooks.

I will be doing a review of this toy soon, when everything is up and running. :-)

Purchase yours from Amazon online or Target in stores.

7 comments:

adrienne said...

Ahhh Kindles are so awesome! They're so portable and it's amazing how they got an electronic screen to look just like paper.
They have a ton of free Kindle books on Amazon too, and I think you can get pretty much any classic American literature ebook for free :)
The letters on the box look really cool :D

miss wiggle said...

Hooray! I love mine too. :) Did you get a case for it yet?

Tracy said...

@adrienne: Yeah! I saw that too. I'm looking forward to downloading a few of them so it'll keep me occupied on long trips.

@miss wiggle: I did! A case is so necessary to keep it in tip top shape.

Miaka said...

Nice gadget there, definitely a good buy! I seriously need to get back on my reading....

Jessy said...

ive heard so manygood thing about Kindle, the hubby is more interested than iam, he's the reader in the family~~~lol so i guess it has no glare??? that would be awsome~~~

littlemisskeira said...

Hi Tracy,

Are you able to easily purchase ebooks from Amazon.com since you are located outside the USA?

I am in Singapore and have been lemming for a kindle and the low price and exchange rate now is definately attractive but I have heard that people located in Singapore would not be able to purchase ebooks online....and that is deterring me from buying..

keira

Tracy said...

Hi Keira,
I have had no problems purchasing my ebooks on my Kindle so far. The selection is almost the same with the US store - with the exception of magazines. But then again, the Kindle is not really meant for magazines in the first place because of it's black and white features. Best to go to the Kindle store on Amazon and click on Asia to see what the differences would be between US and Asia. I hope that helps!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...