March 28, 2011

Sakura Collection by Shu Uemura with Mika Ninagawa


Mika Ninagawa is a Japanese photographer and film-maker and is known for her vibrant and colorful photography, where she yet again collaborated with Shu Uemura to launch their new limited edition Sakura Collection. 


The Sakura Collection celebrates their one-year anniversary of their UV Under Base Mousse, a revamp of their bestseller item. The improved formulation is 20 times lighter than the original release, which I own so many bottles of.


Two of their UV Under Base Mousses, Pink and Beige are part of their regular line. In addition, BB Beige, which has a somewhat creamier BB texture and shade, is LIMITED EDITION. Mika Ninagawa's work is beautifully captured on the packaging of each bottle, emphasising the sakura - Japanese cherry blossums.




"My favorite flower is the sakura. Japanese sakura is truly beautiful. During the sakura season, my heart beats faster with excitement and I can't stop myself from going out. I adore sakura. I think the most beautiful thing about sakura is the moment it falls. Japanese people, including myself, are deeply moved by how the blossum fleetingly, then their beautiful petals scatter gracefully"
-Mika Ninagawa

It is with much excitement myself to test out these products. Personally, I started venturing into makeup using Shu Uemura products, and one of them being the UV under base mousse. I still own multiple bottles of the old formulation when I heard that they were discontinuing it, and in self-inflicted fear, bought backups (just in case).


What is so special about the new UV Under Base Mousse, is that it doubles up as a sunscreen and a lightweight primer giving your complexion an unparalleled flawlessness in evenness and glow. It works like a second skin, and combines fabulously with powder foundation to achieve great-looking skin.

These retail for S$78.


Takashimaya has released this collection exclusively on the 25th of March, and other counters from the 1st April. From what I already see, all shades of the UV Under Base Mousse is flying off the shelves. This is a collection worth getting excited about, and I can honestly testify to that.



Lets talk abit about the formulation, shall we?

+ Silcoat - a technology which diffused into a patent pending liquid foaming stabilizer to maintain ideal balance between water and gas phase. 


In other words...

You will get an even amount of powder product, UV filter, hyaluronic acid, betaine, aquatoril ingredients in each dispensed amount due to Silcoat. It prevents the 'gas' bubble from coalescing, which then translates to the innovative mousse formulation. Of course, its all the ingredients combined in the product that give you the final effects but the formulation delivery is very innovative in my opinion.


You already know that there are 3 shades... but how different does it appear on the skin?


It almost looks like a light sorbet. From left to right, beige, pink and BB beige.

And if I flip my hand horizontally, you can see that the formulation has tact on skin and is not watery at all. Because of its mousse-like texture, it is better to smooth this on your cleansed and moisturised face, with the pentagon sponges. They sell these in packs of 6 at Shu Uemura and they are of great quality.


Ok, one more time... I dispensed way too much earlier.


+ Beige - Gives a natural healthy looking complexion
+ Pink - Tints the complexion with radiance
+ BB Beige - like a BB cream in shade, but lighter in texture. Great for girls on the go, who don't want to apply a thick cream to achieve an even complexion.


Pink and Beige are definitely lighter in texture. BB Beige is more creamier and has more coverage.


After it settles down, you can only tell a marginal difference in color. Only upon closer observation will you notice that pink does illuminate the skin slightly. BB Beige still retains its coverage.

(sorry, I wish I had photoshop to put some separators but I'm working from a remote computer in an empty apartment!).

Also in this collection features a limited edition powder foundation case, which you can pop in the refills.  easily. This retails for S$25.

And that's not all ladies, there are also six sakura inspired colours, of which the packaging also reflects a nice pink hue. All shades are of pink tones, and everyone being a big fan of pink, will easily find a shade that they will cherish.



Above, I have here PK 356 (the brightest pink! A beautiful eye capturing shade) and BG 932 (a classic nude). Each retails for S$39.


And yummy candies that Shu Uemura gifted me. Of course, being a greedy sweet tooth that I am, I immediately opened it up like a fat kid on a smartie.


And now I leave you with some dazzling works of Mika Ninagawa on Yu Yamada.




Please visit www.shuuemura.com for more details and pictures on the Sakura Collection.

*Disclaimer: all products and some photographs were given to me for PR consideration. All stated opinions are mine. 

1 comment:

Rainy Days and Lattes said...

I'm still absorbing the UV base mousse's.. never seen anything in that form before :) These definitely look worthy to test out! I have to check them out in April!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...