December 19, 2010

2010 Hair Products - Likes & Dislikes

Hair. It's such an emotional thing, especially to me. The one thing I always dream of having is achieving the gorgeous loose Victoria Secret waves. It has not been an easy feat and I'm far from achieving it either. Yesterday I digital permed my hair, and made my already dehydrated hair to super-uber-dry. I'm determined more than ever to start pampering my hair and not making laziness my excuse.

I've accumulated a whole host of haircare and styling products over the 4 years in Singapore. Today I will be doing some short reviews on my thoughts on these products individually. Mind you, I'm the sort who will research extensively before buying something or rely on my reliable hairdresser to recommend me products. Disclaimer, whatever works on me may not work for you. 


I have course dry hair with an oily scalp, coloured, rebonded, and now digital permed. So my hair does go through ALOT.  And I underestimated the importance of good hair care until my hairdresser mentioned that I need to switch my shampoos to cater towards my dry hair.


Hair Care Products

These are the hair care products that currently sit in my bathroom. It includes:
- Phyto Phytojoba Intense Hydrating Masque
- Fekkai Technician Color Care 3-Minute Masque
- LUSH American Cream Double Strength Conditioner
- Fekkai Technician Color Care Conditioner
Fekkai Technician Color Care Shampoo
Redken Scalp Relief Oil Detox Shampoo
Tsubaki Damage Care Shampoo (White Bottle)


Phytojoba intense hydrating mask has been my favorite friend for years now. I love how citrusy it smells and it leaves your hair so silky soft. Watsons often have a 20% for Phyto products. It does cost quite a fair bit, I believe at $56, but a jar has lasted me a long time. I bought a backup of this cos I love it THAT much. This will suit dry and course hair. 


I'm now trying the Fekkai Technician Color Care 3-minute mask, which smells like coconut. A dream to use and also leaves your hair soft. I'm not sure if it really meant for colored hair cos I don't notice any difference. Phyto is still my favourite by far. 


Conditioners... Lush American Cream Double Strength Conditioner is absolutely rubbish in my opinion. Apart from smelling beautiful, it does nothing to condition. People say that it's not meant to be a detangler but man... this stuff is a tangler. I can't stand it and I wouldn't recommend it anyone. Surprisingly I've used half of the bottle, but each time I lose too much hair. 

On the other hand, Fekkai Color Care Conditioner is the best conditioner hands down. It doesn't weigh your hair down like other conditioners (Shiseido Tsubaki Oil in particular). It's similarly scented to the mask, coconuts. I love this stuff!


Although I love the Fekkai conditioner, I don't have the same loves for the Fekkai Technician Color Care Shampoo. I find that it doesn't really do that much for my hair. It's nice but nothing special and definiately not worth the money you pay for. In fact, my scalp wasn't doing so well after some time because it's not as effective in cleansing the scalp.

It's so important to have a shampoo that targets your scalp. If you're planning to grow out your hair, you MUST treat at the roots. And this was a mistake that I made. I ignored my scalp to the point that it itched like crazy and I needed to spend $130 to get my scalp treated at the salons. That was when my hairdresser recommended me to use the Redken Scalp Relief Shampoo. I went through this shampoo so fast (1 month?!) cos it doesn't feel like it lathered very well, and it leaves your hair super crispy. Yuck. I hated it. But I endured it cos my hairdresser told me to. So glad to get that scalp problem over and done with. I think ,y stress had something to do with my distressed scalp. 

And, finally the Shiseido Tsubaki Oil Damage Care Shampoo was miraculously good when I first started using it. It moisturised, it hydrated and left my hair really nicely moisturised even without conditioners. But unfortunately it left my hair feeling quite weighed down. I'm giving this shampoo a rest and I will probably come back to it when my hair needs a change or rotation of shampoos. 

Hair Styling Products


When it comes to hair styling, I'm really really very lazy. I hardly use much hot tools in the morning. I'm the sort that will wake up half an hour before I rush off the door. So hair is the last thing on my mind. But having rebonded hair does make the morning job so much easier. It looks decent... well, ok... a bit flat. But I still dream of having that 'time' to manage my hair in the morning, so I still buy hair styling products nevertheless. 

Here's the list of my hair styling products:
- L'oreal Studio InvisiFX Micro Fine Spray
- Alberto V05 Styling Mousse Extra Body
- Bumble & Bumble Does it All Styling Spray
- Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide
- Redken Ringlet 07
- Bumble & Bumble Brilliantine
- Fekkai Glossing Cream
- Redken Glass Smoothing Serum
- L'oreal Playball (label peeled off) 


When it comes to course and porous hair, I find that cream based products works the best for me. It helps me texturize my hair without feeling weighed down. 

Firstly, Redken Ringlet 07 is a must-have for anyone with digital permed hair. This was the only product that I used diligently on a daily basis and it helped to give me the definition to my curl without looking crunchy or 'held together'. It's applied on damp hair before hair drying in scrunching motion. To give your curls more of the 'bounce', I twirl my hair, scoop it in my hands, and let the hairdryer and product do it's magic. This stuff is legend. 

Bumble & Bumble Brilliantine is an interesting product, in that it somehow makes your hair look more healthier and can be used as a styling cream to give your hair texture. It gives a nice sheen and creates that definition to wavy hair. It comes in a small tube but this has lasted me a while. It leaves no residue to the hair and is generally nice. I will probably repurchase this. 

People either love or hate Fekkai Glossing Cream. To me it does nothing, but add gloop on my hair. It's not worth it my opinion. I use the smallest amount if my hair has too much flyaways. Otherwise, its not really worth the hype. 

Finally L'oreal Playball... Sorry, the label peeled off. This stuff is so nice on blowdried hair. It has microshimmers to give your hair that oh-so-healthy look. It has a hold of 2-3/6. I love this stuff!


Hairsprays. I've experimented with the drugstore L'oreal Studio Invisi-FX. I hate the scent and leaves a crunchy feeling that I don't like. I only used this once and never again.

Bumble & Bumble Does it all Styling Spray is much better, in that it holds your style very nicely without giving you any crunchy feeling. The bottle mentions that it can be used as a hair protectant, but generally I use this as a finishing touch. The smell is divine too!

I also went through a period where I wanted to get more volume, so I experimented with the Alberto V05 Styling Mousse Extra Body. The mousse is somewhat sticky and 'tacky', and not so great for the roots, cos it does leave a residue. I stopped using it in fear that it was making my scalp suffer. Honestly, it will be much better to use a styling spray to give volume rather than a product that will leave too much deposit on an already sensitive scalp. 



The last two products are serum or oil based hair styling products. Redken Glass 01 was recommended through Makeupalley, as a product to give some shine to the hair. I haven't used it that much, cos I generally like cream based products instead. So I'm not sure if I will recommend it per say. It left no lasting impressions on me.

Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide are for hot-tool junkies. I'm not sure if they still sell this though as Redken has completely revamped their hair products line. It allows your hair to glide through the hot iron without the fizzling sound. I like it but again, I steer clear of oil based products because of the difficulty in rinsing it in the shower. Plus, I don't really use alot of heat styling products but whenever I do, I reach for this. 

I've been watching plenty of 'bathroom tour' videos... and notice that hair products do easily accumulate. Gosh, if only there was only 1 shampoo and conditioner that can address all the problems we have with our hair. I generally go for more expensive hair products because I spend a bomb at my hairdressers already. And hair products are so confusing to the layman. So to me, it's pretty much trial and error.  Here's my little assortment in my bathroom. 

and my hair styling products on my shelf...


I hope you found this post useful. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. I'm always in search for a good hair product. 

Toodles!

3 comments:

Sara.H said...

Very helpful post. Thanks for sharing :)

Ania said...

I was thinking about Lush, thanks God I didn't buy it. Very helpful post, thanks :)

MeiQi said...

hey there thank u for ur post!!!!! awesome reviews there :):) but I wanna ask, I didn't really get the part about the reflex scalp relief shampoo.. apart from drying ur hair, did it make ur scalp feel more refreshed?? :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...