September 29, 2010

A wonderful distraction from makeup

First of all, I want to thank you for looking at my blogsale. It makes me feel better that I have managed to reduce part of my collection in order to make what I currently have manageable. As I mentioned briefly in my previous blog pot, I have intentions of moving countries. At this point in time, everything is still in the air. I have alot of questions to ask myself, i.e. what is important in life? my career or my long-term relationship with my boyfriend.


So while I'm figuring out the answer to that question, I've taken my distraction to a different topic altogether and that is fiction books. I used to love reading but I stopped when I started work because of time. The last book I read was 'The Story of Edgar Sawtelle' by David Wroblewski, about a mute boy who grows up on a farm raising a selected breed of dog that is known for its astounding intelligence and mannerism. Things take a bit of twist when his father dies mysteriously in the barn, and his uncle steps into his life. Edgar finds secrets about his uncle and ranaway from home into the forrest with his dogs. Would I recommend this book? I don't think it's those 'can't put down' books, but it's a good read especially for dog lovers.


I'm now reading this book called 'The Help' by Katheryn Stockett, which is not your average book. It is about a young white woman who devotes her life to write a book about the adversaries and working conditions of black maids serving white families in the 1960s. There are 3 main characters, two black maids; Aibileen and Minny, and Ms Skeeter an aspiring journalist. There's something so incredibly touching about the book from the very beginning and the astounding things that they have to endure. Some are ridiculous (i.e handwash the clothes before machine washing) and some were hilarious (ironing a 1000 over pleated skirt that takes Aibileen 1.5 hrs to finish). Hands down, this book is simply AMAZING! 

And while I'm brooching the topic of books, I just wanted to let my Singaporean readers know that I am open to do a bookswap. Let me know if you're keen to know what's on my shelf. :) I can get to know you better and meanwhile widen our perspectives about the world through the convenience of a book on the weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...